Diarrhea during Pregnancy: Controlling the Issue
Diarrhea during Pregnancy
It may be surprising to you but the issue of diarrhea during pregnancy isn’t something new or weird. In fact, it is pretty common for the expecting mom to suffer from such an issue. Most expecting moms will deal with the digestive difficulties, either the diarrhea or the constipation. There is no exact reason for such a problem, like the stress, the diet changes, and also the changing hormones. The problem may seem simple but never underestimate it because if you leave it untreated, it can lead to other health conditions. The best thing that you can do is to ease the uncomfortable feeling.
Read More : Anti Diarrhea Medicine: The Wise Way to Use It
Diarrhea during Pregnancy: A Common Issue
As it was mentioned before, diarrhea during pregnancy is a common issue. Besides the pregnancy itself, the cause of the diarrhea is stomach flu, food poisoning, bacteria, virus, medication, or intestinal parasites. Certain health issues can also cause diarrhea, like Celiac disease, bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, or Crohn’s disease.
When it is related to the pregnancy, however, the most common causes are:
- Diet change. Most women would do a dramatic change in their diet once they are pregnant. Such a drastic change can create ‘chaos’ in your digestive system and upset the stomach. Not to mention that you are likely to consume healthier and greener foods than before, causing your stomach to not only adjust itself to the new condition but also remove more waste.
- Sensitivity to food. Your body changes as you become pregnant and it is possible for you to suffer from a food sensitivity, although it has never happened to you before. During pregnancy, it is highly possible that everything will leave you with a lot of gas, which upset the stomach and result in diarrhea.
- Prenatal vitamin. Although these vitamins are good for you and the baby, it may create imbalance in the stomach and upsets it.
- Hormonal changes. When it is related to hormone, your digestive system can only deal with two ways: a faster processing system leads to diarrhea while a slower processing system leads to constipation.
Diarrhea during Pregnancy: The Solution
There are some alternatives that you can do if you are dealing with diarrhea during pregnancy, such as:
- Be patient. The diarrhea may stop on its own as long as you give it enough time. As long as it doesn’t disturb your daily activities or it doesn’t affect your health (and the baby), just wait and see. Just keep yourself hydrated enough. If you start feeling weak, go to the doctor.
- Think about the medication. If the diarrhea is caused by the medicine, try to talk to your doctor about alternative medication.
- Talk to your doctor. If the diarrhea persists for a week or it doesn’t show signs of stopping, go to your doctor. You may have to undergo a blood test to see what’s wrong.
- If it is related to your pregnancy, sometimes there is nothing you can do about it. If it is related to the hormonal change, the best way for you to do is to keep up with it, stay strong, and have your condition monitored all the time. The best way is to keep yourself well hydrated and stay healthy. Have a regular checkup and consultation so you know when you should be alarmed
It is not advisable that you take any over the counter drug without talking it first with your doctor. They can prescribe the best medicine for you or provide advice in dealing with the issue. It is always best to work together with them to deal with the diarrhea during pregnancy problem.